An inventory of free museums, reductions, and museum passes
Paris is so saturated with museums, monuments and historic landmarks that it’s tough to know the place to start planning. However when you’ve booked your airfare and secured a very good value on a Paris lodge, it’s time to start out fascinated by the enjoyable stuff.
For these trying to avoid wasting euros, one place to start your analysis is by taking a look at Paris’ free museums and points of interest (or these with decreased admission).
It’s attainable, in spite of everything, to absorb a whole lot of the town’s tradition with out forking over an excessive amount of money. Right here’s a fast information to a couple of our favourite free museums and suggestions for locating discounted admission.
• 47 methods to save lots of in your journey to Paris
• 11 greatest low-cost inns in Paris for 2023
At all times free museums in Paris
Some museums and plenty of public monuments are free day-after-day — additionally nice to know while you get caught within the rain and don’t need to kill time in a café.
Word that a few of these have a (generally strongly) advisable “donation ticket.” Whereas giving one thing isn’t required, it’s actually a pleasant gesture.
Free museums embrace:
- The Musée d’Art Moderne, not removed from the Eiffel Tower, is one in all two trendy artwork museums in Paris. Its particular exhibitions value 5-12 euros, however the everlasting assortment is totally free.
- Notre Dame Cathedral, and any church (apart from Sainte Chapelle) for that matter, is truthful recreation.
- The Musée Carnavalet within the Marais, lets you tour the entire historical past of the town without spending a dime. (“Donation ticket” €5.) Short-term exhibitions can value 10-13 euros.
- Arène de Lutèce, the town’s previous Roman amphitheater, is simply hanging out within the Latin Quarter ready for guests to drop in for a picnic whereas watching the native kids play soccer.
- It’s also possible to stroll via the courtyards and outer halls of the Hotel des Invalides and take a look at the canons guarding Napoleon’s tomb with out paying to really go inside.
- The Atelier Brancusi shows the sculptures of Constantin Brancusi simply exterior of the Centre Pompidou, together with the well-known sculpture l’oiseau dans l’espace. The workshop is totally free to go to.
- Extra museums which might be free day-after-day embrace: Maison de Balzac, Maison de Victor Hugo, Musée de la Vie Romantique, Musée Curie, the Shoah Memorial, the Petit Palais – Musée des Beaux Arts, the Musée du Parfum-Fragonard and extra. Word that many of those cost admission to particular displays, however visiting the everlasting assortment is free.
Typically free museums in Paris
Should you’re planning your journey like a Cheapo, come to Paris on a weekend for the primary Sunday of the month when many nationwide museums are open without spending a dime, just like the Pompidou and Musee d’Orsay.
Needless to say some museums will solely provide the free first Sunday monthly within the low season. Check out the “sensible info” part of the museum web site that you just’ve received your eye on, and it ought to inform you.
To have a good time the nationwide vacation, Bastille Day, nationwide museums, just like the Louvre, are additionally open without spending a dime on July 14 yearly. (This is also to distract the revolutionary-minded from storming any extra prisons.)
Discounted with a Paris Museum Go
Buying a Paris Museum Pass (out there for two, 4 or 6 days) will present entrance to most nationwide museums and monuments, together with the Palace at Versailles and the Arc de Triomphe.
If you’re a historical past and artwork buff, the move will simply pay for itself in the event you plan your visits prematurely.
For instance, a two-day museum move prices €55. Should you plan on visiting each the Conciergerie prison (the place Marie Antoinette was imprisoned) and the adjoining Sainte Chapelle church, admission will value a complete of €30, if bought independently. Throw in a ticket to the Louvre (€17), the Rodin Museum (€13), and the Centre Pompidou (€15), and in two days you saved fairly a bit of money.
We don’t imply to oversell the move. Nonetheless, if you’re devoted to utilizing it and to visiting a number of museums, the move generally is a superb deal.
Free for guests below 26 years previous
- EU residents below 26: All everlasting collections of nationwide museums and monuments are free for EU cardholders below 26 years of age.
- Different residents below 26 (with carte de sejour): Many Individuals and Canadians might imagine this legislation passes them up, however wait! The hundreds of research overseas college students, au pairs, and English assistants who’ve authorized residency in France or elsewhere in Europe are additionally lined by this legislation. So, in the event you’re below 26, head to the Musée d’Orsay or the Natural History Museum, wave your passport and carte de séjour, and also you’ll get a free ticket.
- Youngsters: Additionally, kids usually get into locations without spending a dime, however ages differ significantly, so you’ll want to ask on the ticket window.
And keep in mind that free entry often solely applies to a museum’s everlasting collections and infrequently doesn’t cowl particular displays. Nonetheless, these particular exhibitions usually provide discounted youth tickets.
Reductions and different offers
If a museum’s entrance will not be free, you may usually discover varied reductions if you realize the place to look, so work up the braveness to ask if the value appears steep. Youth and “below 18” guests can often get reductions even in the event you don’t have EU paperwork, so guests can nonetheless profit from reductions.
Additionally, museums usually work in tandem to supply reductions. For instance, in the event you current your ticket to the Musée d’Orsay while you go to the Palais Garnier, you’ll obtain a reduction (in the event you go to inside 14 days). Clearly, proper? Take a look at the presents posted on the ticket sales space.
The Paris Tourism Workplace has a website in English that may be helpful for locating up-to-date info for any museum in Paris. Search by museum identify and shortly you’ll understand how a lot cash it can save you (and what number of Mona Lisa mugs you’ll lastly be capable of purchase on the Louvre reward store!). They even have an extremely complete checklist of all free and reduced admission museums and instances.
Searching for much more free concepts? Right here’s a listing of 25 free issues in Paris that we love and seven issues in Paris which might be all the time free.